Menu Historic Tunkhannock
Return to Stops
Hungerford House
22 West Harrison Street 1880
George Hungerford and James Young purchased this lot in 1865 from Moses DeWitt and operated a wood planing mill here until about 1868. Hungerford then purchased the property and had this house built to much acclaim - "lots of horizontal emphasis and a cupola with a flat roof - the most stylish in town." The rear, second floor bedrooms were built later. Below the bluestone basement floor, the current owner discovered a portion of the original planing business.
Stops GPS Tour Map