8 Susquehanna Avenue 1868
Tunkhannock Tannery owner Gilbert Palen had this architecturally eclectic home, with its clipped gable roof and wall dormers, constructed at the corner of Susquehanna Avenue and Elm Street. Palen was a fourth-generation tanner, and the Palen tannery dynasty once stretched across six counties in New York and Pennsylvania. The house remained the property of the tannery until 1902, and was later converted into apartments. In 1984, the building was purchased and restored as a single family unit by H. Clayton Ervine, who grew up in the house next door (No. 21).